10/12/2007

Europe, in summary

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I’m sitting in a less than charming hotel in south Georgia and Joy and Graycen are asleep. I should be too, but I’m reflecting on our recent travels. Yesterday morning we were in Milan, last night Chattanooga, and today...I'm not sure. We made it home last evening, picked up Graycen (a grand reunion for sure), and then today hit the road again.

I’m not really sure what forces caused it to happen, but somehow between last year and this year, lots of brides and grooms started asking us to travel for their weddings. Now don’t get me wrong, we’ve always traveled a fair amount, photographing weddings across the country—Ohio, Maryland, Georgia, Colorado, California, South Carolina, Mississippi, and of course our home states of Tennessee and Florida.

But this year has been different. Jamaica in early April, then Jamaica again two weeks later. In July, Silje and Crispin’s wedding in Norway marked our first European wedding. And then a few months later, back to Europe again, this time Paris, France, Aberdeen, Scotland, and Lake Como, Italy. And what a tour it was!

Previously, when someone mentioned the word “travel” my first thought was north or south in I-75 (like right now) to Florida or east and west on I-20 to Charleston. But man, have my eyes been opened. I didn’t even own a passport until two years ago when we went to the Bahamas for Kim and Matt’s wedding.

And there’s talk next year of planning a trip to the Philippines to visit Joy’s family, which would be amazing. I think after that we’d like to visit Spain, Greece, Switzerland, Egypt and Kenya (in no particular order), and then do some mission work in South or Central America.

I really must admit, that as much wonderful as France, Scotland and Italy were, it’s nice to come home. America is great…except for customs at Atlanta Hartsfield Jackson International Airport. Good grief, even the name is long. And after 13 days being away from the studio, and much more significantly, Graycen, I was ready to be home. Even if it was only for a grand total of 16 hours.

I've compiled a list. I can’t imagine who might be interested in this, but in case you are, here are the 10 things I learned on our trip.

1. Adventure leads to happiness.
2. It’s okay to sometimes be uncomfortable and not in control of every situation.
3. You can communicate with people who can’t speak your language by simply smiling and nodding your head.
4. As hard as it is to admit, I don’t have all the answers.
5. If you think rush hour traffic in Atlanta is bad, check downtown Paris from 5-6 pm. Even those on motorbikes use the sidewalks! No thank you, I’ll walk in the grass.
6. London Heathrow is not conducive to running…or anything else for that matter.
7. Sometimes it’s best to pay a little more and know you’re going to be taken care of. A cab usually gets you from A to B much faster than the wrong bus or train.
8. Fantasy Football doesn’t really matter (I just threw that in there because I’m in first place in our league!).
9. When photographing a wedding it’s best to try and blend in, even in the way you dress. Next time we shoot in Scotland I’m renting a kilt.
10. And finally, do you know how much work I could get done on a 3-hour lunch-break? I’m moving to Italy!
10.5 Gelato has officially passed dark chocolate peanut M&Ms as my favorite sweet indulgence.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


It’s good to be "home." Sometime tomorrow we’ll get to Florida and on Sunday we have a great wedding in Orlando. On Monday I’ll be in NYC for a couple engagement sessions and then PhotoPlus Expo later in the week. After I check into my hotel, I think I’ll head down to Little Italy, walk into the first Italian restaurant I find and sit down, close my eyes (okay, maybe just one eye), breathe in the kitchen scents, and imagine I’m somewhere else. Prego!

10 comments:

mngirl said...

I'm so happy for you guys! I often marvel at how many people never leave the US, and how that fact really hampers people's perspective on life.

I'm going to be in South Africa for 10-12 months starting next spring...and while I don't have a wedding for you to photograph (you will be notified when I do!), South Africa is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. You two are both invited to come over at any time!

Take care of yourselves! I love the blog and seeing what you are up to!

Chris Humphreys said...

That's so cool you guys! And I thought our travel schedule was crazy! :) You guys definetly take the cake (or Gelato as the case may be). :)

I'm so bummed we don't live closer to you guys, but we are just so stoked on the level and rate of your success. You guys deserve it so much, and Katie and I couldn't be more excited for you!

Regis said...

Why you have to keep rubbing it in with them Gelato photos?

K.C. said...

I like 10.5. Gelato here in the U.S. does not do it justice. Glad you made it back safely, you all are very blessed. Keep up the great work.

the mombergs said...

we've been following your travels & adventures this year, and you've had quite the year! we're so happy for you two, and proud to call you friends. we, too, are bummed (like Chris & Katie) that we don't live closer, it would be too much fun!

thanks so much for keeping us up-to-date on your info here on your blog (it makes me feel like ours leaves something to be desired)!

sticky said...

Good to have you back safely! Sounds like you had a blast!

While I can't imagine anything being better than dark chocolate peanut M&M's, I am thankful that you have found a new love!

Brandy J Rammel said...

lol re #8!!!

Great post Garrett. So inspirational=) Shooting weddings in unfamiliar places is so exciting. I cannot even imagine what it would be like in another country. So thrilled for you guys!!!

Frank DiMeo said...

Looking forward to seeing you and Joy again this week Bud!

I will be doing an engagement shoot on Monday that should end in Times Square after dark. Then I may try to hook up with the Revolution crew. It would be nice to run into each other shooting.

If not then I'm loking forward to Thursday.

Fantasy Football? Come on...how do you do it?

Anonymous said...

Mmmm... Gelato in Europe, the best thing EVER!!! Yum!

I won't be in NYC tomorrow - ironic, I'm heading up for a newborn shoot on Monday. Bummer that I'll miss everyone while I'm there!

Garrett Nudd Photography Blog said...

Thank you guys! When you have a chance to travel, go go go! And when you do, please let us know, we may just come with you :)

And Genya, we are so going to try badly to come to South Africa to see you!!!

hugs,
Joy