6/10/2008

Maybe that upgrade to the European GPS wasn’t a bad idea afterall



This post is dedicated to our great friend and my worst driving critic, Jim Cook.

I recently discovered the following quote, adapted from the famous “Tis better to have loved…” This morning I keep repeating it to myself. It’s comforting.
“Tis better to have traveled and gotten lost than to never have traveled at all.” -George Santayana

Today we head back to Zurich from Interlaken. The following is our route. And for the record, I can’t pronounce these road names for life of me!

1. Start out going NORTHEAST on BAHNHOFSTRASSE
2. Enter next roundabout and take 1st exit onto CENTRALPLATZ.
3. CENTRALPLATZ becomes CENTRALSTRASSE.
4. Turn LEFT onto 11 / 6 / ALPENSTRASSE / JUNGFRAUSTRASSE.
5. Continue to follow 11 / 6.
6. Enter next roundabout and take 2nd exit onto 11 / 6 / LINDENALLEE.
7. Turn LEFT to take the ramp toward BERN / THUN / WILDERSWIL / ISELTWALD / LUZERN / BRIE NZ.
8. Merge onto 11.
9. Merge onto A8 toward LUZERN / GOTTHARD / MEIRINGEN / BRIENZ / ISELTWALD (Portions toll).
10. Merge onto A8 via EXIT 30 toward GOTTHARD / LUZERN / BRÜNIG / HASLIBERG / BRIENZWIL ER / BALLENBERG-OST / A8 (Portions toll).
11. A8 becomes VERZWEIGUNG LOPPER.
12. Merge onto A2 (Portions toll).
13. Keep RIGHT to take A14 toward ZÜRICH / CHUR / ZUG / SCHWYZ (Portions toll).
14. A14 becomes A4 (Portions toll).
15. Merge onto A4A (Portions toll).
16. A4A becomes E41 / 4 / SIHLBRUGGSTRASSE.
17. Enter next roundabout and take 2nd exit onto E41 / 4. Pass through 1 roundabout.
18. Merge onto A3 via the ramp on the LEFT toward TRANSIT / ZÜRICH-CITY (Portions toll).
19. Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto E41 / MANESSESTRASSE. Continue to follow MANESSESTRASSE.
20. Turn SLIGHT LEFT onto STAUFFACHERQUAI.
21. Turn RIGHT onto SIHLBRÜCKE.
22. SIHLBRÜCKE becomes SIHLSTRASSE.
23. Turn SLIGHT LEFT onto BAHNHOFSTRASSE.
24. Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto URANIASTRASSE.
25. Turn LEFT onto BAHNHOFQUAI.
26. Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto WALCHEBRÜCKE.
27. Turn SHARP LEFT to stay on WALCHEBRÜCKE.
28. WALCHEBRÜCKE becomes BAHNHOFQUAI.
29. Keep RIGHT at the fork to continue on BAHNHOFQUAI.
30. Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto BAHNHOFPLATZ.
31. Make a U-TURN at BAHNHOFPLATZ onto BAHNHOFPLATZ.
32. End at Zurich, Zürich CH

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You mean, these German words are confusing?

Well, what you really needed (aside from the trusty GPS) was your trusted translator: ie: Andrew Niesen!

Have fun!

Regis said...

Seems pretty straight forward to me.

Jim Cook said...

I read the title of this post and I thought "oh no -- here he goes again".

I read the first line and I busted out laughing -- tis true -- I am his worst driving critic. But anyone who knows Garrett can't blame me! lol

Then I read the rest of the post and I am sad -- because I suspect I will never see my friends again.

Does anyone have the number for interpol so I can file a missing persons report?

Unknown said...

I thought getting lost in Downtown Denver was bad...but that was nothing compared to this.